CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

What memory would you keep if you could onlt keep one???

The memory I would chose to keep would be when my grandfather taught me how to ride a bike. I called my grandfather, Pop Pop. One Sunday afternoon I was sitting in the living room on the couch with Pop Pop and my dad watching a TV show. Pop Pop asked me if I knew how to ride a bike. I told him that I did not. In his big booming voice he told me that today was the day that I would learn how. Pop Pop went out to his garage and got out a small pink bike that even had pink training wheels. I was so surprised! It was like he had planned this just for me. He had gotten this bike just for me, so when I did want to learn how to ride a bike he could help me. I put on my knee pads, elbow pads, and my helmet. Pop Pop took me to the top of a small hill in the grass. I got on the bike and he told me that when I got to the bottom of the hill to push the petals backwards, and I would stop. Well, let’s just say that didn’t exactly work. I got to the bottom and when I went to push down on the petals, I got off balance and I fell off of my bike. I scraped my leg but was ready to get back on. After the repetition of going up and down that hill, and learning from my mistakes I got the hang of riding my bike. Once I figured out how to go and stop, I didn’t want to stop riding my bike. He was very encouraging and was cheering me on. Eventually I got tired of pedaling and I got off of the bike and went inside and took a nap. Pop Pop died when I was eight. I don’t really remember what Pop Pop looks like, and this is really the only thing I do remember about him. Trial and error is how I learned how to ride my bike. Trial and error is a life lesson in how you learn to do a lot of things. You have to keep trying. When you try something new and mess up, you take what you learned from that and try again. You can apply this to your everyday life. I am glad I can think back to this memory of my Pop Pop and remember what he taught me.

0 comments: